I used to sell these at Christmas markets, from a big soup cauldron. They were a real hit on cold days. It was very fun getting the blow torch out on the stall… still is fun doing it at home!
How long does a Fluff Hot Chocolate take?
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 mugs (with spare fluff to keep in the fridge)
For the Marshmallow Fluff:
- 90g Caster Sugar
- 125g Golden Syrup
- 3 tbsp Water
- 2 Medium Egg Whites
- ¼ tsp Cream of Tartar
For the Hot Chocolate:
- 600ml Milk
- 150 ml Double Cream
- 100g Dark Chocolate
Method TO MAKE A Fluff Hot Chocolate
Make the Marshmallow fluff:
- Measure the sugar, golden syrup and water into a small saucepan and briefly stir to combine
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until foamy on a medium speed. With the motor still running, add the cream of tartar and continue to whisk until soft peaks form when you lift the blades out of the mixture
- Now turn your attention to the water mixture. Place the pan over a high heat and bring to 115°C. Once the caramel has reached that temperature, remove the pan from the heat and leave for 20 seconds for the bubbling to subside. Then, with the motor running on high, add the hot sugar syrup to the bowl of the mixer, pouring slowly down the inside edge of the bowl to avoid splattering and getting it on the whisk.
- Continue to whisk for a few minutes on high until thick and fluffy. The fluff is ready when it starts to clump around the whisk. It may still be warm so leave to cool fully before storing or using.
- Make the hot chocolate: Pour the milk, double cream and chopped chocolate into a pan
- Bring gently almost to the boil (just until it’s slightly steaming is a good temp), using a hand whisk to mix until smooth
- Use a spatula to scrape bits of melted chocolate off the bottom and sides of the pan, and a whisk to incorporate the chocolate into the warm milk/cream mixture.
- Pour your hot chocolate into your favourite mug. Then pipe the fluff around the edge of your mug, and toast with a blow torch for that s’mores like caramelisation! If you don’t have a piping bag or a blow torch, then a delicious big blob on top of your hot choc is still excellent… you may need a spoon to eat with to save a sticky nose!
Tip: You can store your marshmallow fluff in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week