I first had these on a very rainy day in a little café in Dublin called ‘The Cake Café’. It was a dreamy little place hidden down a back street, a good walk away from where we were staying, but it was so worth it!
We had these with a big pot of tea (in vintage china cups, on brightly patterned tablecloths) with a comforting bowl of Stew and homemade crusty bread. It was heaven! So I was ecstatic when they released a recipe book a few years later. This is my very slightly adapted version that’s been very popular on market stalls over the years.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Gooey Lemon Slice Ingredients
For the Shortbread Base:
- 250g Plain Flour
- 250g Butter (from fridge)
- 100g Icing Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 Lemons zested
For the Lemon Topping:
- 300g Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Lemons zested
- 100ml Lemon Juice
- 50g Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
Method to make a Gooey Lemon Slice
Make the cake:
- Grease and line a 9” square tin
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until a fine crumb
- Press crumbs firmly and evenly into the tin and level out with the back of a spoon
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until lightly golden
Make the lemon topping:
- Beat the Eggs, Sugar and Lemon zest with the beater attachment (or bowl and whisk) until a pale bubbly foam appears on top when you turn the mixer off (about 20 sec on high speed). Be careful not to over beat, it’s not meant to be meringue
- Sift in the Baking Powder and Flour, then fold into Egg mix
- Fold through the Lemon juice
- Pour on top of the cooked base
- Cook again for approximately 35-40 minutes until set and no wobble in the middle
- When cool, dust with icing sugar and cut into 12.
Enjoyed this recipe? Check out my other recipes on my blog.