This saucy madam has been our not too secret weapon at turning any cake or brownie from good to gUUUUUUUUUUd. I’ve put it in tarts that have won 2 stars (out of 3) at the Great Taste Awards, our Salted Caramel Brownie has also picked up 2 stars… it’s all in the sauce!
How long does Salted Caramel Sauce take to make?
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe Ingredients
190g Granulated Sugar
85g Butter (room temp)
123g Double Cream
½ tbsp Sea Salt Flakes
Method to make a Salted Caramel Sauce
- Place the sugar in a medium to large saucepan (one with a thick bottom helps stop it catching)
- Place the saucepan on a medium heat and keep stirring with a metal whisk ensuring the sugar does not catch on the bottom
- Keep stirring the sugar until it has reached a liquid caramel form. It should be a deep orange colour with no lumps remaining. Stop stirring
- If a crust forms, swirl the pan around a couple of times then wait for the crust to melt
- Wait for cloud shapes to start forming on the surface of the caramel and then add the butter, whisking continuously.
- Turn off the heat and keep whisking until the caramel thickens slightly and the butter begins to be absorbed
- Add the cream slowly, stirring it in as you pour. At this point make sure you have taken it off the hob completely
- Add the salt flakes. Stir through if you will be using immediately
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 month
Tip: add some of this to your hot chocolate to make it even more delicious!