I used to have this Carrot and Walnut Cake recipe on my market stall every time without fail. It was given to me by my cousin Kate who is an excellent baker. It’s such a versatile recipe, you can add in chopped pineapple, coconut, mix the nuts up and it still works! Just don’t sub the bicarb with baking powder… It’ll go dry!
How long does a Carrot and Walnut Cake Recipe take?
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 mins for 2x 8” round tins / 60 minutes for a large loaf tin
Yield: 12 slices
Carrot and Walnut Cake Ingredients
For the Carrot Cake:
- 2 cups Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 cups Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 Medium Eggs
- 2 cups Grated Carrot
- ½ cup Walnut Pieces
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 50g Unsalted Butter (room temp)
- 125g Cream Cheese (cold) Squeeze of lemon or orange juice
Method to make a Carrot and Walnut Cake
- Make the cake: Add Flour, Sugar, Bicarb, Salt, Cinnamon and Ginger to a large mixing bowl and whisk briefly to remove any lumps
- Add the oil and mix to smooth paste with a spatula
- Hand whisk the Eggs slightly until a light foam appears, then fold into this into the original mixture
- Fold through Carrots and Walnuts and any other fillings of your choice
- Pour the mixture into x2 lined 8” round cake tins, approx / 650g per tin or large loaf tin
- Bake for 25-35 mins for 2x 8” round tins, or 50-60 minutes at 180c fan for a large loaf. Or until a knife comes out clean.
- Once the cake has cooled, remove from the tin and make the icing.
Tip: Increase the recipe by 50% if you like loads of icing!
- Make the frosting: In a mixer with a beater attachment (or bowl and whisk), add the Icing Sugar and Butter and mix slowly until you reach a sandy consistency
- Add the Cream Cheese and mix together until smooth (do not over beat, this will go runny)
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of Lemon or Orange juice (to taste) and mix in briefly
- Once the cake is entirely cool, assemble with the Cream Cheese icing and decorate as you please with chopped Nuts and/or a dusting of Cinnamon.